Dr. Kiran V. Mangaonkar, Principal
- Two of Dr. Kiran V.Mangaonkar’s papers were presented by his students, at the RSM-2010 which was held at Sathaye College jointly with ICS.
- Chairman of the Local Organising Committee of the UGC Sponsored National seminar on FUNGAL BIOTECHNOLOGY organized by the Department of Botany, MITHIBAI COLLEGE and Mycological Society of India (Mumbai unit).
- Presently, 10 students are registered under him for Ph.D. degree in Analytical/Inorganic Chemistry and 3 students have obtained their Ph.D. degrees under his guidance in 2009-2010, taking the total to 18. This year, one student has completed M.Sc. by research under Dr. Mangaonkar’s guidance.
- Publications : -
- Simultaneous HPLC Determination of Tinidazole and Diloxanide Furoate in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Analytical Chemistry Journal, (2009).
- Determination of Atovaquone in Human Plasma by LC-MS-MS and its Application to a Bio-equivalence Study. Chromatographia, Vol.70, 947-951, (2009).
- Simultaneous Determination of Aceclofenac, Paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone by HPLC in Tablet Dose Form. E- Journal of Chemistry, Vol.6(1), 281-294, (2009).
- Alternative LC-MS-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Proguanil, its Active Metabolite in Human Plasma and Application to a Bioequivalence Study. Chromatographia, Vol. 70, 1095-1102, (2009).
- Reverse Phase Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Determination of Cinitapride in the Presence of its Degradation Products in Bulk Drugs. E-Journal of Chemistry. (2009)
Dr. (Mrs.) Z.R. Turel, Adjunct Professor of Chemistry
- Dr. Turel was the Convenor of ‘Manshodhan-II’ a research-cum-project competition of all the colleges under SVKM banner. Around 167 presentations were covered in one day. The event was considered a grand success.
- She was invited and delivered a lecture as the chief guest of the celebration of the International Year of Chemistry. She delivered a talk on ‘Nuclear Reacters and Nuclear bombs’ at M.D. College.
- She was invited and delivered a talk on ‘Madam Curie, her life and work’ as a part of the Centenery Celebration of her receiving the noble prize in chemistry at Singhania College, Thane.
- She was nominated by the Indian Association of Chemistry Teachers and Tata Chemicals for the Best Teacher in Chemistry at postgraduate and research category. Her name has now been recommended for Outstanding Teacher in Chemistry by the panel team.
- She was invited and attended the Board of Studies of the School of Sciences in Chemistry of which she is the member.
- Her research paper has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Indian Council of Chemist. Three of her Ph.D. students made their presentation at ‘Manshodhan’.
-Her research paper has been accepted for presentation at V Biennial Symposium SESTEC-2012 which is organized jointly by Mithibai College and DAE-BRNS. She has been invited to deliver an invited talk at this symposium by the technical committee.
- Was invited and delivered talk on ‘Bioinorganic Chemistry at K.J. Somaiya College of Science as a part of the International Year of Chemistry celebration.
- Was invited by the Director of Institute of Science, Mumbai, as a part of the lecture series.
- Was one of the experts of the Doctoral Committee at the research presentation by Ph.D. students at NMIMS School of Science.
- Her Ph.D student presented a research paper at the journal club organized by NMIMS School of Science.
- Dr Turel was invited by the Pune University as an expert for the selection of teachers for the lecturer and readers post in chemistry.
- Dr. Turel has been appointed as a permanent member of the Research and recognition committee of the NMIMS School of Sciences.
- She was also invited as an expert for the selection of assistant professor and lecturer by the NMIMS School fo Sciences.
- Dr. Turel has inserted a write up on the webite of Mithibai Collge about its research activities.
Prof. (Mrs) A.A.Pawar
- Member of the Board of Studies-Chemistry, University of Mumbai.
- Member of the Board of Studies, NMIMS University.
- Executive member of Indian Chemical Society.
- Obtained research grant of Rs.30,000 from the University of Mumbai for a project titled “Quantitative estimation of some ingredients in selected bathroom cosmetics,” and is co-investigator for another project.
Amrit Rajwadkar (Department of Statistics)
- Recognised as Post-Graduate Teacher in Statistics, by the University of Mumbai with effect from September 2009.
Archana Ambhore (Department of Psychology)
- Attended a two-day UGC-sponsored National Seminar on ‘White-collar Crime’ and wrote an article on ‘Personality and Crime: A Theoretical Speculation,’ which was published in the proceedings.
Prof.Ashwin H Mehta (Department of Gujarati)
- Delivered a Radio – talk on The Lyrics of Shri Rajendra Shah, an eminent Gujarati Poet and Bhartatiya Gyanpeeth Award Winner littertuer. He also presented his paper on An outlook on Life of Swami Anand, a profound Gandhian Essayist and Social thinker. These talks were broadcasted on All India Radio – Samvadita Channel on 3/11/2011.
- Anchored a classical Dance performance of Bharat Natyam Arangetram of Kum. Mahek Shah, Kum. Labdhi Vora and Kum. Janvi Doshi organized by Arunodaya Kala Niketan (established by Dance Mastro Guru Shri M.N. Suvarna and Menaxi Shriyan) on 5/11/2011 at Zaveriben Sabhagriha, Ghatkopar, Smt. Bhavna Somaiya, a renowned film critic and veteran journalist was the chief guest.
- Compered the felicitation function of Shri Mathuradas H. Mehta a freedom fighter, Ex-Vice President of NCP (Maharashtra) and founder President of All India Business Council (who completed 92 years) held on 22/10/2011 at Hindi Vidya Bhavan, Marine Lines, Shri Arun Guarati, Ex-Speaker of Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha and Shri Mangal Prabhat Lodha (MLA) were the guests of honour.
- Anchored the stage show at Manik Sabhagriha, Bandra (West) on 25/9/2011 i.e. Nritya Kala Sagar, a cultural organization, conducted public show namesd ‘Sanskruti Gujarati’ in which 22 Folk Dances were presented by 310 participants of different age groups (3-65 yrs.).
- Anchored ‘Gungaurav Sanman Samaroh at Narawane Sabhagriha, Kandivali on 3/9/2011. Kandivli Sanskrutik & Krida Mandal and Mumbai Vibhag Congress Committee had jointly organized this prize distribution function to felicitate students scoring more than 70% marks, from Charkop constituency.
- Prof. Ashwin Mehta (Head, Dept. of Gujarati) – his interview on ‘Mitra Tu Kiyan Che?’ was published in Gujarati Mid-day on Aug. 6, 2011.
Dr D B Gadkari (Department of Physics)'
- Papers accepted for publication in November 2011
- D.B. Gadkari, Advances of the Vertical Directional Solidification Techniques for the Growth of High Quality GaSb Bulk Crystals, Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Vol.6, No.1, 2012. Paper No.: JCHE-E11100901
- D.B. Gadkari, Detached growth in vertical directional solidification – progress in quality of the bulk InSb crystals on the earth; Research Dimension Vol-II, Issue-II, 2011, 1-15.
- D.S. Maske, P S More, M D Deshpande, R Chaudhari, D B Gadkari, Characterization of InSbBi bulk crystal grown by vertical directional solidification technique; Research Dimension Vol-II, Issue-II, 2011, 29-33.
- Manisha Joshi-Deshpande, Dilip Maske, Pravin More, Rashmi Chaudhari, Brijmohan Arora, Dattatray Gadkari, Study of dilute nitrogen doping in a growth of InSb bulk crystal: Research Dimension Vol-II, Issue-II, 2011, 39-42.
Dr. D.B. Gadkari (Head, Dept. of Physics) presented his research paper in American Conference on Crystal Growth (ACCG-18), July 31-August 5, 2011 at Hyatt Regency Centre, Monterey Sanfrancisco, Calefornia, USA.
Deepa Jaydev, (Department of Philosophy)
- Invited to judge a Debate Competition on ‘Revolution or Reformation’ at Ruia College on 6 February 2010
Dr. D.V.Kamat (Department of Microbiology)
- Was invited to give a talk on ‘Recent Advances in Industrial Effluent Treatment’ at UGC – ASC sponsored Refresher Course in Biological Sciences at Khalsa College on 28th Sept., 2011.
- Invited to give a talk on ‘Credit and Grading System’ at UGC –ASC sponsored Refresher Course at Khalsa College on 10/10/2011.
- Invited to give a talk on ‘Syllabus Revision and Paper Setting’ at UGC-ASC sponsored Refresher Course in Biological Sciences at Khalsa College on 14/10/2011.
- He has been elected to the Board of Studies in Microbiology 2010-15.
- He has been elected to the Faculty of Science 2010-2015.
- He has been elected to the Board of Examination 2010-2015.
- Chairman, Board of Studies in Microbiology – SNDT University.
Dr. Hitesh Singhadia (Department of Zoology)
- Member of the interview panel of Mahagenco, Maharashtra Power Generation Company for the post of Junior Engineers on 3 & 4 April 2010, at Sardar Patel College of Engineering, Andheri.
- Invited to conduct viva voce for the Dr. Homi Bhabha Bal Vaidyanik Competition organized by the Greater Mumbai Science Teachers Association on 21 February 2010, at Kirti College, Dadar.
- Invited to judge inter-collegiate Science exhibition on 17 December 2009 at Viva College, Virar.
- Invited to evaluate the science projects at district level for the 17th National Children’s Science Congress - 2009 for Thane district held on 7 November 2009, at Wada & for Mumbai district - South Zone on 17 November 2009, at Chikitsak Samuha Shirolkar School, North Zone on 14 November 2009, at Fatima High School Vidyavihar, West Zone on 11 November 2009, at Anuyog Vidhyalaya Khar.
- Invited to deliver guest lecture on ‘Scope of Fishery Biology’ for T.Y.B.Sc. Biotechnology students on 4 November 2009 at BNN College, Bhiwandi.
- Presented research paper entitled ‘Effect of Fluoride on Histoarchitecture of Liver & its repercussion on Phosphatase & Transaminase in Poecilia reticulata Peters’ in UGC, CSIR, Dept. of Earth Sciences & MoEF sponsored National Conference on ‘Present Scenario of Environmental Pollution & its Effect on Living Organisms’ organized by the Dept. of Zoology, Govt. College of Arts & Science, Aurangabad in collaboration with National Environmentalists Association from 9 to 11 December 2009.
- Parvathi Nair, Aparna Chogle & Hitesh U. Shingadia jointly presented research paper entitled ‘Length-Weight Relationship & Relative Condition Factor of Coilia Dussumieri (Cuv. & Val.) from Neretic Waters of Mumbai Coast’ in 20th All India Congress of Zoology, National Seminar on Bioresources & its Management for Food, Livelihood & Environmental Security & National Helminthological Congress organized by Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Andheri, on 29 & 30 December 2009.
- Aparna Chogle, Parvathi Nair & Hitesh U. Shingadia jointly presented research paper entitled “Biological Aspects of Gold Spotted Grenadier Anchovy, Coilia Dussumieri (Cuv. & Val.) off the Coast of Mumbai” in 20th All India Congress of Zoology, National Seminar on Bioresources & its Management for Food, Livelihood & Environmental Security & National Helminthological Congress organized by Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Andheri, from on 29 & 30 December 2009.
- ‘Effect of Fluoride on Histoarchitechture of Liver & its Repercussion on Phosphatase &Transaminase in Poecilia reticulata Peters’ The Bioscan Journal (in press).
Dr. Jayaprada Rao Chunduri (Department of Biotechnology)
- Research paper presented on ‘Generic composition of pathogenic bacterial populations at Versova Beach in Mumbai,’ West Coast of India at International symposium on Marine Biotechnology, organized by DBT of Sahrdaya College of Engineering and Technology, Kodakara, Thrissur conducted from 1 to 3 October, 2009.
- Received Grant of Rs.20,000.00 for minor research project on ‘Nutritional and medicinal properties of wild edible vegetable Aagarakai Momardica dioica’ from Mumbai University, for the academic year 2009-2010.
Khevana Desai (Department of Sociology)
- Was invited as a Chief Guest to Acharya & Marathe College to deliver a lecture on Domestic Violence & Human Rights on 21/9/2011.
- Was invited to conduct a radio programme on ‘Gandhian values : its context for youth today’ by Aakashvani Mumbai on 15/9/2011.
- Prof. (Ms.) Khevna Desai (Dept. of Sociology) won the First Prize (Rs.21,000/-) for the essay competition organized by Kutchshakti & Mumbai Samachar on Female Foeticide. In the same competition Upagna Pandya (TYBA Psychology 2009-2010) won the second prize (Rs.11,000/-). Their essays have been published in Mumbai Samachar.
Dr. Meenakshi Vaidya (Department of Botany)
- Recognized as Guide for Ph. D. in Botany, with effect from February 2009
- Awarded the 2nd prize for her paper presentation at the IBS Conference at Shimoga, in December 2009
Neela Nair (Department of Commerce and BMS, Coordinator)
- Her article ‘A study on Meeting Challenges in Higher Education’ was published in contemporary scenario in higher education: Employability, Values, Opportunities and Challenges by Dr. (Mrs.) Ancy Jose.
- Mrs. Neela Nair was appointed as Subject Expert, for the appointment of Assistant Profesor in the subject of BMS & was the Vice-Chancellor’s nominee, University of Mumbai.
Dr. Nupur Mehrotra (Department of Biochemistry)
- Obtained Research Grant of Rs. 12,000/- for a project entitled, ‘Evaluation of Trypsin inhibitory activity of some anti-diabetic plants’ from the University of Mumbai and is co-investigator in another project.
- Visiting faculty and examiner at the SVT College of Home –Science for the Post-Graduate course in ‘Food Nutrition,’ where she is also on the adhoc Board of Studies. Visiting faculty at NMIMS’s School of Science for the Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D course
- Guide to 14 M.Sc-II students for their dissertation project
Panna Mehta (Department of Psychology)
- Presented a research paper on ‘Sports Builds Character: A correlation study of adolescents’ sports participation and psychological well-being’ at a National Conference on ‘Latest Trends in Sports Psychology’ organized by Department of Physical Education, Nizam College, Hyderabad on 8 and 9 June 2009.
Dr. Papiya Deb (Department of Zoology)
- Received the award ‘Joy of Giving Awards 2009 – College Social Responsibility CSR’ entitled ‘An Exemplary Contributor to the Society’ organized by Hi-Tech Family Enrichment Foundation and Kindness Unlimited on 13 November 2009
- Was invited to present a paper at the National Seminar on ‘Training and Teaching of Business Personnel along the Structural Method-A Methodological Reorientation’ organized by Institute for Educational Research and Development on 4 July 2009.
- Presented a paper at the Seminar on ‘Ecotourism-An Indian Perspective’ organized by Maharshi Dayanand College of Arts, Science and Commerce and WWF-India on 13 February 2010.
- Shared 1st prize in Management Category at Manshodhan- A Research cum Project Presentation organized by Mithibai College (27.11.2010).
- Authored a paper entitled ‘Gain of Technological Fluency Will Prepare Present Day Teachers to Lead Any Arena along the Leadership Horizon’. Academic Leadership, Fort Hays State University (2010), 8 (2).
- Dr. Papiya Deb and Dr. Madhav Welling in collaboration, have authored the following papers:
- “Sustainability initiatives that can be taken up by cement companies”. Nature, Environment and Pollution Technology (2010). 9 (3), 625-629.
- “Sustainability, accountability and socio-environmental concerns required in solid-waste management”. Pollution Research (2010). 29 (3), 493-496.
- “Innovations in Management Training: Training Business personnel along the Structural Method”. Academic Leadership, Journal of Fort Hays State University (2010). 8 (3).
- “Impact of biodiversity on Industry”. Accepted by Pollution Research, 2011 issue 2.
- Nominated as a Member- Editorial Advisory Board of the International Journal Pollution Research.
Rakesh Panse (Department of Hindi)
- Presented a research paper on, ‘Hindi Padya Sachitya Aur Swatantratapurva Hindi Patrakarita Ka Rashtriya Ekatamata Aur Vikas mein Yogdan’ at the National Seminar organized by Wagheere Mahavidyalaya, Saswad Dist., Pune, on 6 and 7 March 2010
Ms. Rency Thomas (Department of Biotechnology)
- Presented Research paper on ‘Enzyme assisted Extraction of Lycopene’ at the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Fungal Biotechnology and also at the Research Meet held by Department of Biotechnology and Microbiology, Mithibai College.
- Presented Research paper on ‘Quantification of phytochemicals of Terminalia chebula fruit extracted using physical and biological methods’ at the National Conference on Emerging Trends in Biotechnology, Bordi
- Received Grant for Minor Research Project On ‘Novel Methods of Extraction and Bioassay of Phytochemicals’ from University of Mumbai
Dr. S.D. Kamat (Department of Microbiology)
- Was invited to give a talk on ‘Natural Products – An Industrial Perspective’ at UGC – ASC sponsored Refesher Course in Biological Sciences at Khalsa College on 6/10/2011.
- Her paper titled ‘Incidences of the presence of Multiple beta-Lactamases in Pseudomonasand Acenetobacter Isolates” was publiched in the Asian Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research.
Dr. S.S.Mangaonkar (Department of Chemistry)
- Closely associated with the Indian National Chemistry Olympiad (INChO) since the academic year 2008-09. He has been invited by the National Coordinator, Science Olympiads, to be a part of the Selection Panel that decides on the candidates to represent India at the International Chemistry Olympiad. The National coordinator, Science Olympiads, is a nodal agency instituted by the HRD Ministry of the Indian Government. This agency has sought Dr. S.S. Mangaonkar’s expertise right from the initial stages of paper setting to the very final selection of the four candidates who would participate in the International Chemistry Olympiad. Presently the process is on for the finalization of the Indian representatives to the Chemistry Olympiad to be held at Japan.
Dr Sashirekha Sureshkumar (Department of Botany)
- Appointed as Secretary, Mycological Society of India Mumbai unit
- Invited as a judge to select the Overall Outstanding student of the year, at M D
- Elected as the Executive member of the Bombay University College Teachers Union [BUCTU]
Trusha Engineer (Department of Sociology)
- Appointed on the Board of Studies for Sociology, from the academic year 2009-10
Dr.Ujwala N. Deshmukh, (Department of Mathematics)
- Delivered a talk on the "Graph Theory" at a workshop on the new syllabus, C.H.M.College, Ulhasnagar, in July 2009
- Appointed as a Member of the ad hoc Board of Studies in Mathematics, under the Faculty of Science of SNDT Women’s University, Churchgate, from 22 December 2009 to 21 December 2011
Usha Subramanian (Department of English)
- Resource Person at a workshop on F.Y.B.A. English (Honours), organized on 16 September 2009, by Maniben Nanavati College for Women, for the teachers of the various departments of English affiliated to the SNDT University for Women.
- Chaired sessions at :-
- The National Symposium on ‘Gay and Lesbian Literature,’ organized by St Andrew’s College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Mumbai, on 21 November 2009
- The National Conference on ‘Mumbai in Literature, Art and Film,’ organized by Sophia College for Women, on 8 and 9 January 2010.
- The Seminar on African American Writers, organized on 18 February 2010, by the University Department of English, SNDT Women’s University, Churchgate, in collaboration with the American Center, as part of the African American Utsav
- Presented a paper on ‘The Decline of the English Department,’ organized by CATALYST, under the aegis of the American Center, Mumbai, on 22 March 2010
- Review on the play ‘Waiting for Godot’ published in the October 2009 issue of Prithvi Theatre Notes.
Vidya Bhole (Department of English)
- Resource Person at a workshop on F.Y.B.A. English (Honours), organized on 16 September 2009 by Maniben Nanavati College for Women, for the teachers of the various departments of English affiliated to the SNDT University for Women.
- Presented a paper titled ‘The Wind Done Gone: A re-reading of ‘Gone with the Wind’ from a Black Perspective’ in the seminar on African American Writers, organized on 18 February 2010, by the University Department of English, SNDT Women’s University, Churchgate, in collaboration with the American Center, as part of the African American Utsav.
- Presented a paper titled ‘Native American Literature and Multiculturalism’ as a panelist for the panel discussion on ‘Multicultural Literature in America’ organized by the American Centre on 3 March 2010 at Churchgate.
Prof. Rashmi Desai, (Department of Geography)
- Prof. Rashmi Desai delivered guest lectures on ‘Environmental Management to the first year students of BMS.
Mrs.Sunita G. Maral, (Department of Geography)
- Prof. Sunita G. Maral presented a paper titled ‘Analysis of Variations in Temperature and Rainfall of a Metro Region: A case study of Mumbai’ at the Mid-Atlantic Region Association for Asian Studies 2010 Conference held at Pennsylvania State University, U.S.A on 22nd and 23rd October 2010.
- Prof. Sunita G. Maral shared the first prize for a paper presentation in the category of Commerce and Management at ‘Manshodhan – The competition of Research projects and papers of all the Colleges under SVKM’ held on 27th November 2010 at Mithibai College. The title of the paper was ‘Analysis of Variations in Temperature and Rainfall of a Metro Region: A case study of Mumbai’.
Vimala Chaube, (Department of Philosophy)
- Resource Person at the Workshop on the Revised Syllabus (TYBA Philosophy Paper VIII-Formal Logic) which was organised by Ismail Yusuf College on 19 September 2009
Prof. Mayur A. Mehta, (Department of Chemistry)
- Prof. Mayur A. Mehta has been appointed as Chief Moderator for Chemistry-I for Board exam. Oct. 2011.
Mr. V. K. Vaze (Department of Biology)
- Prof. V.K. Vaze was invited as Chief Guest/Resource Person for the workshop conducted at Mithibai, Vaze College, Bandodkar College, Siddharth College for new syllabus & practicals.
- Prof. Vaze V.K. was invited as resource person for the workshop on new syllabus at Newasa conducted by Board.
Prof. Mudaliar S.V., (Department of Biology)
- Prof. Mudaliar S.V. has been appointed as Chief Moderator for Biology-II for Board exam Oct. 2011.
Mithibai College Non – Teaching Staff
- The sixth inter-collegiate cultural and sports events for non-teaching staff members were organized by Malad-Kandivali Education Society’s Nagindas Khandwala College of Commerce, Arts and Management Studies and Shantaben Nagindas Khandwala College of Science in December 2009 and January 2010. The non-teaching staff of our college participated and won in the following events:
- Shri Samir D. Mehta – Table Tennis (Runners-up)
- Shri Mahesh G. Kolhe – Solo Dance (Third Prize)
- Smt. Sonali Labdhe – Solo Singing (Fifth Prize)
Pravin Jayram Nijap (Junior Clerk)
- Obtained an M.B.A. Degree (2 Years Part-time) in Human Resource Management from Sikkim Manipal University in September 2009.
- Appointed as a Special Executive Officer by Government of Maharashtra w.e.f. February 2009 till 2014.