- The year 2011 has been declared as the International year of Chemistry by the U.N. and Chemistry Department of Mithibai College can proudly say that they are the FIRST in the world to celebrate the International year of Chemistry with a National Conference on “Role of Chemistry in health and diseases” from 17th – 19th January, 2011 as a part of Golden Jubilee celebration of Mithibai College and Diamond Jubilee celebration of Indian Chemical Society (Mumbai Branch). The scope of the National Conference included drug delivery systems, nanomaterial, radiopharmaceutical, radiooncology, analytical technique, elements in health and diseases, environmental pollution, medicinal plants, comformational chemistry etc. The 12 invited talks were delivered by most eminent scientist in the fields mentioned above and were from BARC, IIT, Mithibai College, Khalsa College, Vaze College, Tata Memorial Hospital etc. The invited talks were very well received and generated a lot of interest among the participants.
- The total number of delegates and participants were more than 250. Around 62 posters presentations and 63 oral presentations were covered. The conference was very well attended with outstation delegates from Jaipur, Jodhpur, Surat, Shirpur, Bangalore, Vellur etc. and from BARC, IIT, UICT, Khalsa, Vaze, Mithibai, Elphinstone, Ruia Colleges, C. B. Patel, NMIMS, D. J. Sanghvi and various Institutions.
- The conference began with the inaugural function. Dr. G. Srinavas, Jt. Secretary, UGC (Western and Southern Region) was the Chief Guest, Dr. J. P. Mittal from BARC was the Guest of Honour and Shri B. P. Sheth, Vice-President, SVKM presided over the function and also Dr. Nand Kishor, President of ICS (Mumbai Branch) and Dr. K. V. Mangaonkar, Principal, Mithibai College, addressed the gathering. Dr. (Mrs.) Z. R. Turel, Convenor, welcomed the guest and dignitaries.
- After 3 days of academic celebration the valedictory function was conducted with Dr. Tulsi Mukherjee, Director, Chemical Group, BARC as the Chief Guest, Dr. Jayant Gandhi and Shri Pravin Gandhi as Guest of Honour, Shri Bhargavbhai Patel, In-charge of Mithibai College, Principal, Dr. K. V. Mangaonkar, Dr. Nand Kishore, Dr. Mrs. Z. R. Turel and Mrs. A. A. Pawar. They praised the efforts of Dr. Z. R. Turel and various members of the staff and committees acknowledged the excellent academic content of the conference and the organizational skills. The feed – back from the participants and delegates was that the conference was a grand success not only for the technical content but also from the hospitality point of view.
- ‘Luminescence-10’ on 7/8/2010. A new dimension of ‘Paper Presentation’ for post-graduate students was added to the usual Tresaure Hunt, Science Quiz and Poster Competition. A total of 18 colleges & 126 students took part in the activity.